Hyannis Harbor Tours, Inc. was founded in 1962 by Richard and Robert Scudder along with E. Raymond Taylor. The Scudder brothers, both graduates of Massachusetts Maritime Academy, operated “Scudder’s Sunoco” on the corner of Ocean and South Streets in Hyannis. Mr. Taylor had long been involved in the oil business on Cape Cod and founded Scudder & Taylor Oil Company with Frederic Scudder, father of Dick and Bob.
With the election of John F. Kennedy in 1960, there was an increasing demand to view the homes in the Kennedy Compound. This encouraged the brothers to enter the marine sightseeing business from a parcel of land (received as payment for an outstanding oil bill) at the “north end” of the Ocean Street Docks.
The “Prudence”, circa 1911, began service in the summer of 1962 with the Scudder brothers sharing the captaining chores while the other ran the gas station. The “Prudence” acquisition proved to be very successful and Hyannis Harbor Tours was born.
In the Fall of 2014, Hy-Line Cruises purchased the Johnathan Lewis, built in 1963, which now operates all of the Harbor Cruise operations for the company.